110g (4 oz) self-raising flour
2tbsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp mixed spice
75g (3oz) oatflakes
175g (6oz) golden syrup
50g (2oz) black treacle
110g (4 oz) unsalted butter
110g (4 oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp full-fat milk
- Baked ginger parkin
- Difficulty: easy
- Serves: 8
• Pre-heat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1.
• Butter a 20cm (8 inch) square cake tin.
• Sieve the flour, a pinch of salt, the ginger, nutmeg and mixed spice together into a large bowl.
• Mix in the oatflakes.
• Warm the tins of syrup and treacle in hot water to make it easier to measure them out accurately.
• Put the syrup, treacle, butter and soft brown sugar into a small saucepan and melt over a gentle heat – bring up to a simmer but do not boil.
• Stir into the flour mixture.
• Mix in the beaten egg and milk to create a soft, almost pouring, consistency.
• Pour into the buttered tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours, until firm in the centre.
• Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out and cutting into squares.