Ingredients for dressing –
1 butter head lettuce, roughly chopped
50g/2oz gherkin, roughly chopped
80g/3 ¼ oz glucose
Ingredients for salad -
1 cucumber, cut in half then sliced lengthways
50g/2oz caster sugar
150ml/5floz rice wine vinegar
1 red chilli, finely diced
3 medium large gherkins, finely sliced lengthways
12 breakfast radishes, sliced lengthways
2 tbsp capers
16 peas in the pod, blanched and refreshed
2 tbsp coriander cress
2 tbsp pea shoots
4 brill fillets, skinned and fully trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
- Gherkin Salad with Pan Fried Brill
- Difficulty: easy
- Serves: 4
Method for dressing –
• Place the butter head lettuce and the gherkins into a food blender and blitz to a very fine puree.
• Pour into a cloth or paper lined sieve over a bowl then set aside to drain through, giving a lovely green dressing.
Method for salad -
• Place the cucumber into a bowl.
• Heat the caster sugar and vinegar in a saucepan until just simmering then add the chilli and stir.
• Pour immediately onto the cucumber and stir around to make sure all the cucumber is covered.
• Set aside to cool to room temperature.
• Place the gherkins, radishes, capers, peas together in a bowl and toss to combine.
• Drain the cucumber and add to the bowl then toss once more.
• Add a little of the pickling liquour to the salad, just enough to coat.
• Season the brill with salt and black pepper.
• Heat a frying pan until hot, add the butter and oil then add the brill and fry on each side for 2 minutes.
To serve –
• Brush a spoonful of the dressing onto the plate then top with a handful of the salad, finishing with a scattering of coriander cress and pea shoots.
• Set the brill alongside.