Ingredients for blanquette -
1kg/2lb2oz monkfish fillet, cut into large chunks
1l/ floz fish stock
25g/1oz plain flour
110g/4oz button mushrooms, quartered
110g/4oz baby onions peeled
4 egg yolks
110ml/4floz double cream
3 tbsp tarragon leaves, picked
Ingredients for potatoes –
4 large baking potatoes
3 egg yolks
- Monkfish Blanquette with Duchess Potatoes
- Difficulty: medium
- Serves: 4
Method for blanquette -
• Put the fish stock into a large sauté pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
• Add the monkfish and return to a simmer, then poach for 5 minutes until just cooked through.
• Remove from the stock and set aside.
• Heat a thick based saucepan over a medium heat, add the butter and melt then add the flour and keep stirring until it is completely absorbed.
• Gradually whisk in the fish stock, keep stirring until all the liquor has been added.
• Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, add a little more of the butter and the onions and cook until coloured slightly then add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes then tip into the fish sauce.
• Return the monkfish to the sauce and return to a simmer.
• Whisk the egg yolks and cream together in a bowl then gradually add to the pan, whisking as you go.
• Remove from the heat and continue to whisk for a couple of minutes.
• Stir in the tarragon and check the seasoning.
Method for potatoes –
• Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
• Bake the potatoes in the oven for about 1-1/4 hours until tender when pierced by a knife.
• Remove and cool enough to handle then scoop out the flesh and pass thorugh a fine sieve into a bowl.
• Beat to a smooth and fluffy puree then add the butter and egg yolks and check the seasoning.
• Spoon into a piping bag then pipe little pyramids onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until golden brown,
To serve –
• Place a couple duchess potatoes onto the plate.
• Spoon the blanquette alongside and finish with a little more tarragon.