4 free-range eggs
200g/7oz basmati rice
4 x 200g/7oz halibut fillet, pin boned
1 tbsp light olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
350g/13oz cavalo nero, picked
Ingredients for hollandaise -
125g/4½oz butter, melted
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 large free-range egg yolks
- Pan fried Halibut with Truffle Poached egg, Hollandaise and Cavalo Nero
- Difficulty: easy
- Serves: 4
• Place the eggs, truffle and basmati into a bowl and leave for at least 24 hours for the truffle to infuse into the eggs.
• Season the halibut with a little salt.
• Heat a frying pan until medium hot, add a knob of butter and the olive oil and halibut, skin side down and cook over a medium heat for 4 minutes until the flesh has turned opaque and the side.
• Flip over and cook for another minute then remove from the heat and rest in the pan for a couple of minutes.
• Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the vinegar. Whisk the water to create a whirlpool and once settled, crack an egg in. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, remove the poached egg carefully with a slotted spoon and place on a plate to drain. Repeat the process with the remaining eggs.
• Heat another frying pan with the rest of the butter and heat until foaming then add the cavalo nero and water and cook for 2-3 minute until just softened and the water and butter emulsified.
Method for hollandaise –
• Place the butter in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
• Place the lemon juice and vinegar into a separate small pan and heat until just boiling.
• Place the egg yolks into a food processor with a pinch of salt and turn on.
• With the motor running add the hot lemon and vinegar. Then slowly add the melted butter until it is all incorporated. Remove from the processor and season with a little salt and black pepper.
To serve –
• Lift the skin off of the halibut and discard.
• Place the cavalo nero onto the plate tehn place the halibut on top.
• Place the poached egg on top then spoon the hollandaise over the top and finish with a grating of fresh truffle.