2 small monkfish fillets, fully trimmed, cut into 1cm thick escalopes
1 tbsp olive oil
50ml/2floz good red wine
50ml/2floz red wine vinegar
50g/2oz caster sugar
125g/4½oz unsalted butter
1 garlic cloves
Sprig of thyme
- Pan Fried Monkfish with Red Wine Sauce
- Difficulty: easy
- Serves: 4
• Season the monkfish with a little salt.
• Heat a frying pan until medium hot, add a little of the butter and oil and the monkfish, and cook on each side until just golden – about 1minute either side. You might need to do this in batches.
• Remove and rest on a plate, covered in cling film.
• Place the red wine, vinegar, sugar and water into a saucepan and cook until reduced to a syrup.
• Heat a frying pan until hot, add the butter with the thyme and garlic and cook until a nut brown colour.
• Mix the red wine and butter together – there should be double the quantity of butter to red wine – check the seasoning.
To serve –
• Place the monkfish onto the plate then spoon the red wine dressing over the top.