Ingredients for plaice –
4 large plaice fillets, skinned and pin boned
3 tbsp plain flour
Ingredients for white crab –
110g/4oz white crab meat, picked
2 tbsp capers, finely chopped
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
1 tbsp chervil, finely chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ lemon, juiced, to taste
Ingredients for brown crab –
1 shallot, finely diced
1 garlic clove, finely diced
75g/3oz brown crab meat, passed through a fine sieve
75ml/3floz white wine
3 tbsp mayonnaise
- Pan fried Place with white and brown crab and samphire
- Difficulty: medium
- Serves: 4
Method for plaice –
• Season the plaice with a little salt then dust with the flour.
• Heat a frying pan until hot, add half the butter and the plaice fillets, presentation side down and cook for 1- 1 ½ minutes until just cooked then turn over and cook for another 45 seconds.
• Remove from the pan and rest for a couple of minutes.
• Heat a frying pan until medium hot, add the remaining butter and the samphire and sauté for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
Method for white crab –
• Place all the ingredients, except the olive oil, into a bowl and mix well to combine.
• Add enough oil so that the mixture just holds together if pressed lightly into a quenelle.
• Check the seasoning and add a little lemon juice if necessary.
Method for brown crab –
• Heat a sauté pan until medium hot, add the butter, shallots and garlic and sweat for 2-3 minutes until just softened.
• Add the sieved brown crab meat, whisk well to combine then add the white wine and bring to a simmer.
• Cook for 1 minute until just reduced then remove from the heat and whisk in the mayonnaise.
• Check the seasoning.
To serve –
• Pile some samphire onto the centre of the plate then top with a plaice fillet.
• Form a quenelle of the white crab meat and set on top of the plaice.
• Drizzle the sauce around the edge of the dish.