Violet Artichokes with Hollandaise
- Heat a grill to high.
- To prepare the artichokes, trim off the stalk leaving 6cm on. Use a peeler to shave back the stalk, cut off the top third of the leaves, cut in half lengthways, and pop into water with the lemon squeezed in.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the garlic, peppercorns, tarragon, olive oil and white wine. Pop in the artichokes, cover in a lid, simmer for 15 mins, then drain.
- Clarify the butter by placing it into a pan to gently melt. As it simmers you will see it split. Remove the milk and salt solids by simply spooning out the white foam.
- To make the gastric, put all the ingredients into a pan and boil to reduce to 2 tbsp.
- To make the Hollandaise sauce, whisk the egg yolks with the gastric in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, then drizzle in the butter, whisking continuously. Season.
- Pile the artichokes into a large ovenproof dish and drizzle over the Hollandaise sauce. Pop under the grill for a couple of minutes, then serve immediately.
Jerusalem Artichokes with Wild Mushrooms
- Melt the butter into a pan. Once foaming, add the artichokes cook for 3-4 mins, then add the mushrooms and season
- Pour in the stock and cream, bring to the boil and continue cooking for another 2 mins.
- Finish with a splash of sherry vinegar.