Ingredients for roasted tomatoes –
6 tomatoes on the vine, halved widthways
4 tbsp olive oil
6 sprigs thyme
60g/2½oz Japanese breadcrumbs
25g/1oz parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 lemons, 1 zested, 1 cut into wedges
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
75g/3oz plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 bunch watercress, leaves picked
- Parmesan crusted chicken escalope with slow roasted tomatoes
- Difficulty: easy
- Serves: 4
• Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 1.
• Place the tomatoes, cut side up onto a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil.
• Season with salt and black pepper then scatter half the thyme over the top.
• Place in the oven and roast for 4-6 hours until slightly dried out.
• Turn the oven off and allow to cool, preferably overnight in the oven.
• Place the breadcrumbs, parmesan, lemon zest and remaining thyme into a food processor and blitz to fine crumbs.
• Place the chicken onto what would have been the skin side, then cut down the centre line ½ the way through.
• Turn the knife sideways and run down the side, opening out the breast, then repeat with the other side so you have a chicken breast, twice the size it was and half the thickness.
• Season the flour with salt and black pepper then dust the chicken in the flour.
• Dip into the egg then into the breadcrumbs, making sure to coat each side thoroughly.
• Heat half the olive oil and 50g (2oz) of the butter in a large frying pan then add the chicken breasts, one at a time, and fry until golden– about 2 minutes on each side.
• Drain onto kitchen paper.
To serve –
• Pile some tomatoes onto the plate, add the chicken and a handful of watercress then finish with a wedge of lemon.